Skin lightening products are some of the highest selling items in the beauty industry. There are several reasons people use skin lightening cosmetics:
- In some cultures, light skin means beauty and wealth, this is very popular in Asian countries. Many Asian people include skin lightening products in their normal skincare routine, and go through drastic measures to avoid direct sunlight.
- Uneven skin tone is another reason you may want to lighten your skin. Almost everyone has lighters tones toward the middle of their faces and darker in the center, but it is understandable if this is undesireable.
- Dark spots such as freckles and sunspots can be eliminated by using skin lightening products. So many people suffer from sun damage and since not many practice proper sun protection, blemishes form.
- Scars that are caused by acne or skin trauma can be diminished with skin lighteners although it make take a heap of patience.
Most skin lightening products contain chemicals that can irritate the skin and cause medical issues. Now that an abundance of people are aware of their effects, they are seeking options that are more natural. Natural skin lightening products do exist but to obtain the best ingredients costs lots of dough, so companies may use cheap ingredients. Interested in lightening your skin the natural way? Try adopting a few of these methods.
Using a scrub is a great way to naturally lighten skin at home
Scrubs have been used for years to help exfoliate skin. Exfoliation is the act of removing dead skin cells to maintain healthy skin. A scrub is considered a physical exfoliant because you have to use your hands to make it work. Scrubs work best in the shower just take a scoop, and begin to rub your skin in circular motions. Many scrubs are tough enough to also exfoliate the body so if you have marks from “backne” (acne that appears on your back), you can help them fade. Exfoliating is effective at lightening skin because it helps remove the layers of your skin tainted with too much pigment. Unless your discoloration is genetic it will not reproduce itself on new skin so, speeding up your cell turnover rate will cause them to disappear.
Scrubs don’t have to be bought at the store, you can create them at home. Many formulas call for and abrasive material like salt, sugar, or sand, and a few other beneficial ingredients. Are you interested in making your own scrub?Here are a few recipes to get you started:
- Sunflower oil
- Almond Oil
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- 2 cups of sugar
- 10 drops eucalyptus oil
- 5 1/8 Cups of Sugar
- 2 Cups of Olive Oil
- 8 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of peppermint extract
- 1 drop of green food coloring
Very Cherry Scrub
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 2 drops of cherry oil
- red soap colorant
Your cure may be right in your kitchen
Yogurt is loaded with lactic acid which helps to exfoliate your skin. Lactic acid doesn’t exfoliate in the same way a scrub does because it is a chemical exfoliant. Chemical exfoliants are much more simple to use than scrubs because they don’t require any manipulation. To lighten your skin with yogurt it must be plain. Rub the yogurt onto your face and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
Lemons and oranges
Lemons and oranges are also loaded with a chemical exfoliant. Citric acid is the alpha hydroxy acid that is found in citrus fruits. This acid can sometimes irritate the skin so be sure to perform a patch test before trying this method. To perform a patch test, place a dab of lemon juice behind your ear, knee or elbow and carry on with your day. If you are red, irritated, or see bumps in the area where you applied the lemon juice you should steer clear of citric acid.
You can lighten your skin with lemons or oranges by rubbing the juices on your area of concern. Let the juice sit on your skin for up to 20 minutes. Be sure to wash all of the citric acid from your skin so it doesn’t become too acidic.
Natural ingredients are often found in effective skin care products. If you have these at home you’ve struck gold!
Why isn’t rice powder more popular in the beauty industry? Rice powder has an ingredient called para amino benzoic acid or PABA. PABA is known for its abilities to protect the skin from the sun. Sun protection alone will help naturally lighten your skin.Rice powder also contains an antioxidant called ferulic acid which helps protect the skin against environmental damage. If that doesn’t convince you to use rice powder to help lighten your skin, maybe the fact that it increases the body’s level of vitamin C will. Vitamin C is responsible for lightening, brightening, and tightening the skin which is something we could all use.
Licorice root extract
If you want to use licorice root extract to help lighten skin naturally you can visit your local health store. Licorice root was used in ancient times to cure skin diseases and is still proven effective today. Licorice root extract is perfect for someone who wants to lighten their skin, but don’t want to use harsh chemicals like hydroquinone. Just like hydroquinone licorice root extract helps to slow your production of melanin which is guaranteed to lighten your skin.
Skin lighting can come with consequences if you aren’t careful, take this advice for a safe and successful journey:
- You must always wear sun protection. Each time your skin is exposed to the sun there is a risk of UVB rays burning your skin. If this happens, your skin discoloration will only get worse. The sun can soar through windows so protect yourself even if you are going to be inside.
- Be consistent with your skin lightening routine even if your skin has improved, you don’t want to lose what you’ve worked so hard for.
- Be sure you don’t have any food allergies before relying on natural remedies, if your skin becomes irritated it could cause more discoloration.