How to get Rid of Tan Lines Fast
Sitting under the sun could be deemed as one of the most relaxing activities to participate in. Although the sun has a bad reputation in the beauty industry, it helps pump the body full of vitamin D and give the skin a golden glow. While many people love to sunbathe, they hate tan lines. Tan lines form when the sun cannot evenly penetrate the skin, generally due to clothing. Unfortunately unless you can soak up the sun completely nude, there aren’t many ways to avoid tan lines, so finding ways to eliminate them is imperative. Learn how to lighten tanned skin fast!
How to get rid of tan lines naturally
Need to get rid of tan lines? Don’t worry, it only requires a few ingredients from Mother Earth!
Scrub that skin
Lightening tanned skin will help get rid of tan lines. When the sun tans your skin it only goes through a few layers so once those layers are shed, your regular skin tone comes to the surface. You could wait for your skin to begin to shed naturally, but you may be waiting awhile. Instead, try exfoliating the skin away.
Exfoliation can be done in three ways:
- Chemical exfoliation involves using an ingredient that dissolves skin cells. Alpha hydroxy acids such as citric, malic, and glycolic are a few used to exfoliate the skin. Enzymes are another chemical exfoliator they work the same way as AHA’s but are commonly Using these ingredients to remove layers of tanned skin is quite straightforward, just apply the acid, wait and rinse; there is no need to manipulate (unless your directions call for it). If you have sensitive skin, it may be in your best interest to perform a patch test to ensure your skin will not react. To perform a patch test place a small amount of the product on your skin before bed, if your skin is red, irritated, or bumpy in the morning you may want to refrain from using it.
- Manual exfoliation involves using an abrasive ingredient to scrub skin from the surface. Sand, dirt, rocks, and microbeads are commonly used in manual scrubs. Using a scrub can damage the skin if done incorrectly, so proceed with caution. Scrubbing the skin too hard can result in scars, cuts, or broken blood vessels, which will cause the skin to appear irritated. Try using a scrub with exfoliants that are smooth and rounded to prevent slicing your skin.
- Dry brushing is an exfoliation technique that not many people are aware of. Dry brushes are typically used for shaving, but their stiff bristles make them great for scrubbing the skin. Rub your dry brush across your entire body in circular motions before you shower. You should perform this technique on dry skin to increase the number of skin cells you shed.
Use essential oils to fade tan lines
The use of essential oils is backed by years of healing but spilled over to the beauty industry. While there are many oils that are beneficial for skin, these are the best to help get rid of tan lines:
These foods can help get rid of tan lines fast
Baking soda helps to get rid of tan lines by exfoliation tanned skin. Mix equal parts of water and baking soda to make a paste. Just apply the paste on the areas of concern and leave it there for about 15 minutes. An excellent way to incorporate it into your routine is to implement the paste before you shower.
Lemon juice is commonly used to lighten hair, and remove stains so it only makes sense that it can also lighten the skin. Lemonsare filled with citric acid, an alpha hydroxy acid that aids in exfoliating the skin. Use caution when getting rid of tan lines with lemon juice because it can cause skin sensitivities. You can add a protective barrier to your lemon juice treatment by combining it with an essential oil or a hydrating ingredient like honey.
In the beauty industry, cucumbers are often shown as an exceptional treatment for the eye area because of its soothing properties. Using cucumbers can promote faster healing allowing new skin to resurface.
Cucumbers can be used to get rid of tan lines by:
- Creating a paste- If your tan is in a small area, you can create a cucumber paste by blending cucumber slices and applying it on the skin. Yogurt is an awesome add-on to a cucumber treatment because it will add moisture, exfoliation, and comfort.
- Applying a cucumber directly onto your skin- If your tan covers a large area creating a paste may not be ideal. An easier way to use cucumber to help get rid of tan lines is to slice a cucumber a rub it across the skin.
There are a few cosmetics items that can diminish tan lines
Makeup will cover tan lines in an instant
Body makeup has been used for years to cover imperfections. The beauty industry has formulated a foundation for the body that can temporarily hide tan lines. When purchasing body makeup to cover tan lines be sure to match the foundation color to your tanned skin, that way your skin appears even throughout the entire body. Be sure to purchase body makeup from a reputable company so it doesn’t transfer onto your clothes. Airbrush makeup is also an option, but there is still a risk of the formula getting on your clothes.
If you want a long lasting solution, try a self-tanner
Self-tanner is generally used for those who long for a bronzed glow but wish to avoid the sun. Self-tanner comes in creams, lotions, oils, and foams but are applied the same way. Simply rub the formula across your skin and let it sit. If you have tan lines, you can cover them by using self-tanner, despite how they got there. Place self-tanner on the lighter parts of your skin and follow directions according to the product used. Be sure to buy the correct color and brand so that your tan is even throughout your entire body.
If you love sunbathing but hate tan lines, there are a few things you can do to prevent them:
- Avoid wearing clothing with too many straps if you are going to be in the sun for an extended period.
- Always wear sunscreen and reapply it every two hours to ensure protection.
- Tan naked for an even color.
- If at all possible, avoid direct sunlight.