How to Get Pink Lips Naturally
When applying makeup, the two most prominent features are the lips and eyebrows. If you are ever in a hurry, applying makeup on those places will make the greatest impact. A wash of pink on the lips has been desirable for years, even before makeup; this was probably the inspiration for cosmetics.
Rosy Lips Without Cosmetics
We live in such a simple world; anything we want to buy we can go to the store and make the purchase, as long as we have the funds. Cosmetics weren’t always around you know, so what did our ancestors do?
Manipulate the Skin
The pink color your lips contain is due to the presence of blood; Throughout the rest of the body, you may not be able to view the blood so closely because the skin is thicker. The great thing about this that you can manipulate the skin so that more blood rises to the surface, you can do this by:
- Kissing- Give your honey more smooches throughout the day if possible. The act of kissing will get your blood pumping, also the fact that you two are rubbing your lips together will definitely leave the lips pink!
- Pinching, pulling, or tugging– If you don’t have a beau to kiss, or just prefer to get pink lips on your own, try using your hands. Pinching and pulling the skin for up to 5 minutes is sure to help your blood rise. Those with big cheeks know how red they get after the entire family pinches them on Thanksgiving.
- Scrubbing or rubbing- Just like pinching, rubbing the lips will help provide them with more color. You could also scrub them and kill two birds in one stone. A lip scrub can be created using two parts sugar and one part honey, rub the formula across the lips until they reach the desired color. This procedure is called exfoliating and will help prevent dry skin, flakiness, discoloration, and fine lines. You shouldn’t scrub the lips every day because you’ll make the skin thinner!
Look to Mother Nature
The plant Indigo is known for its amazing blue color and has been used to dye fabric for decades. There are things found in nature that can help stain the skin red/pink. The Lipstick Tree or Bixa Orellana is found in the Amazon rainforest and is native to South and Central America. This tree contains a ton of spiky red pods that are in clusters and resemble a heart. The pods were used by ancient people to create body paint for tribal rituals. Women and men also used it to stain their lips. Bixa Orellana is used in a wide range of products including dyeing fabric and seasoning food. Strawberries and raspberries have also been used on the lips for added color. You could use essential oils to help blood reach the surface of your skin. Peppermint, eucalyptus, and tea tree oil will provide a tingle that ensures pink lips!
You could use Makeup
Cosmetics is obviously the easiest way to obtain pink lips but you are limited to certain products if you want to do it naturally. Here is an extensive list of natural cosmetic brands:
Create your own Lip Products
Here are a whole slew of DIY lip recipes, I will provide the source in case you need more information!
- All natural powder blush
- Melt crayons in a lip gloss pot.
- Sweet almond oil
- Powdered blush
- Essential oils
- Coconut milk
- Leftover lipstick
- Lip balm
- Lip gloss
Tinted lip balm (Provided by Wellness Mama)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 1 tablespoon shea butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red or rose mica powder
- optional: 2-4 drops of peppermint essential oil
Thanks Wellness Mama for these instructions
- Melt the coconut oil, beeswax and shea/cocoa butter in a glass jar sitting in a small pot of simmering water (not boiling) and stir gently until melted (be careful not to get any water into the mixture).
- When melted, carefully stir in any colors or essential oils, if using. My favorite is lemon and vanilla for scent and a little red coloring or cocoa powder for color. A couple drops of peppermint will make it similar to Burt’s Bees Lip Chap.
- Once colors/scents are mixed in, use a dropper to transfer to tins or lip chap containers. Let cool.
- Apply the versions in the tins with your finger or use the version in plastic container as you would regular lip chap.
Very Berry Stain (Provided by The Beauty Department)
- 1 raspberry
- 3 pomegranate seeds
- 3 blackberries
- ½ teaspoon of olive oil
Kool-Aid Stain (Provided by Elle )
- Kool-aid powder
So, why would someone want pink lips? Well many of us already have a hint of pink in our flesh but the darker your tint, the more the lips stand out. Women blessed with super pink lips have the luxury of putting on a clear gloss and get showered with compliments on their “lipstick”. Adding color can also help your lips look bigger and more defined.